Thursday, December 20, 2007

O Antiphons, part five...

December 20: O Clavis David...

O Clavis David, et sceptrum domus Israel;

qui aperis, et nemo claudit;

claudis, et nemo aperit:

veni et educ vinctum de domo carceris,

sedentem in tenebris et umbra mortis.


O Key of David and sceptre of the House of Israel
you open and no one can shut;
you shut and no one can open:
Come and lead the prisoners from the prison house,
those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.

O Clavis
Even in the darkness where I sit
And huddle in the midst of misery
I can remember freedom, but forget
That each dark clasp, sharp and intricate,
Must find a counter-clasp to meet its guard
Particular, exact and intimate,
The clutch and catch that meshes with its ward.
I cry out for the key I threw away
That turned and over turned with certain touch
And with the lovely lifting of a latch
Opened my darkness to the light of day.
O come again, come quickly, set me free.
-- Malcolm Guite

No comments: