Saturday, December 15, 2007

Jesus shops for sandals...

At BuyNothingChristmas.org, there is a marvelous tract - a tongue in cheek excursion with Jesus as he shops for sandals. Click here for the first page, and then 'next page-it' to the end.

This website's concept of drawing back from Christmas consumerism is something I found winning and persuasive last year. Still do! What really struck me this year, as I was again tickled by the tract and its invitation to see shopping through Jesus' eyes, was much more than the obvious and total inanity of Jesus shopping. This time, I read the comments and was just astounded at how people can take something so seriously and unimaginatively. And thereby miss the point. Talk about a plethora of suggestions as to what he should have done, with some complaints about 'blasphemy' (Jesus doesn't know how to pray). It's not about that! Yes, thankfully, some commenters got the point: 'Jesus shopping' does make us uncomfortable. He certainly wouldn't descend into the consumer mosh pit - then or now.

But to sum up a discomfort that stems from this: How strongly we feel we know exactly what Jesus wants, thinks, should do, should require us to do. The temptation is to treat Jesus like a super action figure that we can pose to fit our own purpose or foist onto others as a reflection of ourselves.

I've always been entranced by the concept of relationship...of 'hanging out', in a manner of speaking. Enjoying his presence without putting words in his mouth or needing to dissect something. No 'projecting' and making him in our own image. No squeezing him to fit a tangible mold. As humans, we love to pin something down and tear its wings and heart out. In great contrast, I recently heard a friend describe with awe and gratitude the discovery of 'just being' with Him...removing the shoes of our heart's feet and basking in awesome presence...and nothing more. Maybe then we can surpass all knowing or 'think-we-know'ing and find something truer than we though possible.

The mystics were great at this. May we take a lesson from them.

1 comment:

catsinger said...

....I think that he would go barefoot, but that's just me... I really dislike "shopping" in stores...[ although there are some times when I see the perfect thing in a catalog...] I have come through this website[Miz Minka introduced me to it...] to embrace the idea of creating or making gifts where I can...and I must say that I've been having a lot of fun "creating"... I'm also into the 12 Days concept...where was that idea when I was insanely busy ?....now I'm into it for the idea of a long celebration to go with a long anticipation ; )