Tuesday, May 1, 2007

the zen of weeding

Started off this past Saturday morning feeling energized -- had some spare time for yardwork! Believe me, I have myriad projects screaming for attention, but gave mine to a section of 'parking strip' which was overrun by thick weeds.

I like to weed. I like to get my hands dirty. There's something so basic..so in tune...so at one with the earth...so honest in doing it. I'm sure it's much more practical to zap them. To me, that 'poisons' the process and removes an important element of satisfaction and, more importantly, the strong connection with nature that rewards the work.


I dug and dug and pulled and pulled and watched the weed pile grow and grow. That encouraged me onward. Strangely, I began to dread the thought of cleaning it up: what a sense of accomplishment was held therein! Yet, as more and more dirt was uncovered, the reward factor shifted to that side. Plants hidden since fall now basked in sunlight.

Unfortunately, the weeds, plants and soil were peppered with spiky balls -- from liquid ambers, I think. I'm certain these nasty, devilish things were the singular inspiration for that horrid medieval invention, the mace. Smaller versions - but lethal, no less, to foot, hand. And, to further prove a grim point: the decomposing ones bear a ghoulish resemblance to...uh...a human skull. Isn't there a better way to create a seed?

It took a long soak in the tub and a good bit of scrubbing to get (most of) the dirt off me. Well worth it!

Bliss: project done: weeds gone, stepping stones added!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Brenda....it looks beautiful. I too love the feel of dirt! People will ask...why don't you wear gloves? I will tell them....because I can't feel the dirt with them on. Of course my hands pay the price...but the spirit gets the rewards!!

DearestDragonfly said...

Kim!!! You must have been writing me when I was editing (bad habit of mine...)

YES, you're right. Dirt feels so good. And, it's not possible to 'feel' my task and evaluate how it's going with anything in between.

unklephil said...

Definitely liquid amber; I can fill an entire green can after the first good storm in the fall cleanses my tree.

When can you do my yard? I don't share your "strong connection with nature" and would not like to see the opportunity for many hours of rewarding work to be wasted on a nature heathen such as myself.

DearestDragonfly said...

Hmmm...do we need a little cleansing in the back yard, perhaps? A petite, well-contained forest fire to start?

As you well know, I still need a huge flock of flamingos to distract passerbys from unfinished sections of my front yard. Talk to me in 2010.

unklephil said...

Target has those pink devils cheap! I'm certain that after Randy saw a whole flock, it would be his boisterous ranting from across the street that would distract passersby (please note correct use of plural here).

DearestDragonfly said...

Passersby. I love that word. I love the English language. I find myself being lax with it in my 'middle age'. Not good!!!

Scout said...

The "parking strip" looks great--and the stepping stones will keep out future weeds, the bastards.

A good job done.

DearestDragonfly said...

I love to do the dramatic, once-a-year weeding. But definitely would like the irritating maintenance work to be kept to a 'bare' minimum.

Thanks, Robyn!

Miz Minka said...

Oh, beautiful!!! Can't wait to show M the pic, he'll be soooo impressed! I certainly am!

DearestDragonfly said...

Two of M's plants figure prominently into the landscape!! Can't wait for them to become 'fragrant'.

unklephil said...

Is Bixby planning to water them?