Friday, May 11, 2007

patricia barber on 'aberrant minds'

My life is crazy. I'm feeling crazy. Patricia says it best*:

there's a piece on the chair...a piece in the hall...

a nice piece of me stuck to the wall...
there's a piece by the clock...clinging awkwardly to time...
there's a piece at the piano clinging stubbornly to rhyme...
there's a fun piece of me in a crack in the floor... an innocent piece who walked out the door...

call me a doctor...or a structural engineer...
draft me a past and a future that consent to adhere...
give me a pill that makes cohesion...
a pharmacological thing...
bring me the tape and the twine...the blueprint design...
to fit the scraps and the threads to the feet and the legs...

in fragments and tatters...scattered all over the road...
each piece has each other...but no piece is a whole...
little maps their pockets...reflections of possibility...

the pieces pick themselves up...

dust themselves off...

and start all over again...

*Available on her 'Verse' CD

No comments: