Friday, May 25, 2007

'a life worth grieving': mystical sake -- viewing a bad day through a warm lens...

'Good Grief'

Terror. Depression. I awoke to these 'possibilities' this morning.

The director of financial aid stopped in my office for kaffee klatch. I sensed the opportunity for cathartic counseling and plunked down a dime ('Peanuts' inflation). When it didn't go that/my way, I added a jumbo paper clip as psycho-currency. Desperate, I added the Office of Enrollment debit card - including a Pacific lanyard. In the end, his 'George Carlin wisdom' failed me -- or rather, the grief and fear were too strong. I removed the currencies one at a time.

On my glum list: we had an appraiser in to evaluate the house yesterday. He is Eeyore. Can't expect much good from him. Further complication -- the friends wanting to buy our home, sans realtor, are the eternal hope of my wonderful neighbor across the street, who is desperate to sell his home and wants them to buy it. If they buy ours and not his...for a less than desirable sum...he is hurt twice: his buyers become ours...and his home is devalued by a lower than market sale. Ouch.

Then I ask -- Can I really sustain all aspects of life in Warsaw -- hey, I'll drive to Ft. Wayne when I need to. Nope, F.A. man answered - not in the winter. The roads will be impassable (it's been decades since he lived in Indiana...).

My boss interviews a possible me-replacement: I don't like 'Molly'. She's not good enough for him. In fact, when she arrives, I ask her to wait in the lobby, rather than in my office, in an uncharacteristic display of distancing.

An email arrived from a piano parent - 'We will miss you forever'. Another says she will organize a piano student/parent petition and send it off to Indiana. Will I ever have a stable of students again?

I go home and weep at the beauty of our back yard, newly groomed by a young pacific gardener...a yard that bears the marks of efforts that I only appreciate now...though they are incomplete. I try to live in the 'now' -- and pot new ivys for a front porch hanging garden...even if I can't take them with me.

So...after a day with no perspective...little strength insight/in sight with which to fight the grief over the loss of our lives here, I poured myself a small glass of sake at home before walking down the 'Mile' to CoCoRo's for a meal that might never happen in Warsaw (we can open a japanese restaurant in Warsaw, I declare to C!!) -- to avoid having to order (pay) for a japanese carafe of the same...but I ordered one anyway...and wish I had gotten a large.

Grief. That's the heart of the topic. I can't stop today.

Fr. C. says, it's OK. This stage takes a long time. It's not OK with me. I want to find a way to spiritualize it. To rise above it...or rather travel outside it. There is the calling that, by grace, I can live. I keep declaring that I can live by gratitude, not loss. But...the grief continues.

The weather today -- warm, but not humid. When, I ask the carioca, will it be this way in Indiana? Oh, September 4th. Or maybe May 24th. Suddenly, the breezy perfect evening is a knife. We discuss the music program in Warsaw. It's clear that most (except the search committee...) do not know I am a church musician. C's concern - and mine: that the current and talented pianist/choral director not know of it...not have it in her awareness. Yes, I concur -- I would only take up that roll/role (a la CoCoRo's) in the same way I did here: when the one doing it no longer does -- and no other way.

Then...in sake wisdom over raw fish, I see our first year as the 'Year of the gathering'...by spiritual centrifugal force...a melding of hearts and spirits and minds...in a way that would galvanize and minister to them...and do the same to us. A celebration.

So - in/through my sake-sobbing - I come to the soil of my heart...where I desire to till -- self-sacrificially, joyfully and without overthinking -- the garden ground for a new life.

8 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

Oh, Dearest Dragonfly, you made me cry! Yesterday, as I was being sad over this same subject, a very wise person reminded me to look for God's Grace. I truly don't want you and Fr. C to leave but as we look for God's Grace in all of this uncertainty we will find His love and His guiding hand as He leads us on paths He has made for us! I miss you already...but at the same time B and I are making plans to visit! Love and hugs to you every day! Don't forget, im cyberspace Stockton and Warsaw are only a "mouse click" away!

MelusinaArtBlog said...

I agree with the previous post. But I've been without you for sheesh, 20+ years already. So let me assure your other readers that I have felt very close and very in touch with you this past month, closer than ever. We have joked about living in Nova Scotia because it's probably the only part of Canada that would have us. I envision freezing, wrapped in blankets and gloves with only fingertips exposed, cybering away. If you go to my art site, click on Paris Apartment and Alice Land -- very satisfying.

Scout said...

There is no glossing over the culture shock you will experience in Indiana, and it will take time to adjust. No point in pretending it won't.

But it isn't the frozen tundra--the roads will rarely be impassable--people learn to play piano there--gardens grow there--and you'll be so much closer to Bob Vandall and only five hours or so from your sister-in-law who kind of likes sake--um, and martinis, and margaritas, and lots and lots of wine.

DearestDragonfly said...

Thank you, m's mom! Yes, I am in awe of God's grace...the record of which I enjoy looking back on. We see it all around us here, which makes it sad to leave. Truly we do expect it there. How else could we put one foot in front of the other, in any circumstance of life!

We'll name one of the 7 bedrooms after you. Think of it as a bed & breakfast...

DearestDragonfly said...

Melusina, I LOVE your art blog!! Everything you do has that serendipitous, grace-skipping blessing on it...which has given me wings for...yikes...over 25 years.

See what my son-in-law Dominick has to say about Canada, in comparison to Brazil:
http://dominickandsummer.googlepages.com/hello,brasil
Actually, I should probably put the second half of the link here:
.com/hello,brasil

Blogspot doesn't word wrap.

DearestDragonfly said...

Robyn!!! I'm really excited about being just 6 hours from you. All your blog friends will be so jealous of me. We'll have to post pictures of sakemargaritamartiniwine fests*.

Believe me, it will take one of those for me to call Mr. Vandall 'Bob'.

*I am counting on (someday) bringing Miz Minka and M over for that.

Miz Minka said...

*SIGH*
*weep*
*love*

Miz M and M like the idea of a sakemargaritamartiniwine fest. ;)

DearestDragonfly said...

*gratitude*
*love*
*sakemargaritamartiniwinefests*