Tuesday, September 25, 2007

i am not called to be pollyanna


This post is from the dearestdragonfly genre of 'forgotten posts caged as drafts, just now being let out'. From June 4, 2007:

Much as I would like it to be, and often can't get it out of my head and heart that it ain't so, life, especially the really important things, is rarely an eggs-neatly-all-in-one-basket, glorious-bouquet-of-Martha-Stewart-roses kind of thing. I keep looking for extreme of perfection...in all areas. But, recently, most especially in the affirmation category of "Things God's Will".

Life is messy and unpredictable. God's will is messy...and unpredictable. There's grit, there's potting soil. There's dustbunnies, gleaming wooden floors. Sticky fingers, silken caresses. Evil bermuda grass mixed into a neat border of lavender. Attempts to corral, contain, keep constant...simply unravel. "Stop!!! The point of life," I'd like to declare, "is to attain and then maintain the perfection."

In Ann Tyler's The Accidental Tourist, the title character reaches for the hand of an utterly forlorn boy...finding in its imperfect soiled, stickiness a celebration of sweetness. This variety of winningly sweet messiness I can relate to. Yet, it seems I have a certain radar (I hope not a 'magnet'...) for seeing - or at least acknowledging - a darkly discouraging side of things. I reluctantly leave the embrace of the freshness of the possibility of perfection and consider taking on the other side - almost, 'hello darkness, my old friend'. And look for the redemption that follows.

Maybe this is why I follow the Fr. C sermon template so well.

But therein I miss the point. Isn't the messy more interesting? more fun? And perhaps the point reaches past 'oh, go for the adventure: delight in the aberrant, the messy.'

Last Sunday, I cried a bit during the opening hymn. It is my absolute favorite hymn in the entire realm of hymnody: St. Patrick's Breastplate: "I bind unto myself this day...", (ancient text here, hymnal version here with a few 'bonus' verses) worthy of an entire blog entry of its own. Being a church musician, I often don't have the luxury of living 100% into the worship. I envy those who can...natural musicians, no doubt. But as I sang along with this one, with its sweeping, boundless affirmations following after affirmations of what we believe, I got to this stanza and lost it:

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, His might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need.

Despite doubts, concerns...the spiritual glass half-full is ALWAYS there (thanks, Spaz...). Perhaps my call is to see the end result of redemption. Though I love every stanza of this hymn, this one was the most appropriate for my current state of heart and mind. Shall I be windswept by doubts, fears...loves...concerns...on all sides?

The beauty of redemption surpasses the original, lost perfection. So, I am called to revel in God's hand, leading, guiding, promising, fulfilling. And it is certainly my sticky hand that Redemption holds ever so tightly and lovingly.

Amen.

I arise today Through god's strength to pilot me; God's might to uphold me; God's wisdom to guide me; God's eye to look before me; God's ear to hear me; God's word to speak for me; God's hand to guard me; God's way to lie before me; God's shield to protect me; God's host to save me.

6 comments:

Mousie and Christy's Mommy said...

DD, this is SO beautiful! Thank you for still sharing this lovely post written many months ago. It is so comforting to KNOW that God is not just in the beautiful and in the perfect but even more so in the sticky and uncertain and far from perfect parts of our lives. God is surely good...all the time!

catsinger said...

...I am reminded of the old Chinese curse..."..may you live in interesting times..."...it is also intriguing that you used the phrase,..."as a church musician, I am not able to lose myself in the worship..."...maybe it's time to close your eyes, and let go... rather than counting measures or waiting for cues.... : ) p.s. I totally do not "get' Pollyanna, on any level...mindless cheerfulness makes me ill...

Anonymous said...

Am I the one being thanked?
Not sure what I owe this comment too, especially in that big sentence. Nevertheless, I thank you for the thought.

DearestDragonfly said...

mm: see you soon...in a place where we can count blessings together!

catsinger: I have plenty of time now to 'let go', but am still hoping for some cues.

spaz: Yes,thank YOU! It was a June 2nd post of yours this year -- angel's advocate, rather than devil's...with an appropriately intriguing picture to head it up!

Anonymous said...

I should simply write "Amen", and leave it at that - but instead I'll clumsily attempt to tell you how much your post means to me. I have been going through a hideous time of trial, unknown to all but a close few. Repeatedly I have missed the fact that it wasn't God mucking up the works, but God getting me through despite every obstacle put in my way - and believe me, they have been many and often unfathomable.

I have been blessed with some quiet time in the last few days, and have embraced the serenity of the meditations from pray as you go which always touch me deeply with both music and the Word. Then today, I was led to your blog, and it has left me in tears, sticky hands and all.

Bless ...

Anonymous said...

Once again you paint with words, this time a gentle reminder that God of all immensity and mystery still cares deeply to love each of us, warts and/or jelly and/or anything else under the sun - and all.

What an encouraging word! Blessed assurance....

Hugs - Barbara :D