Wednesday, April 9, 2008

wildlife obsession...

The duck couple floating in the liquid gold of morning sun...

The pond wildlife community never ceases to amaze. Mr & Mrs Duck remain at the top of the completely adorable list. No sign of nesting. Unfortunately, I glimpsed a large (aren't they all) Canadian goose behind a tree on the south tip of the island in the prime breeding spot - sitting still for hours and facing the opposite end as if the better to see interlopers approach over the bridge. I hear geese can be verrry protective of their young. And even though I'd rather see the ducks on that prime spot during nesting season - and know that border collies are considered to the most effective geese-nuisance 'ridders' in the world, I'd fear for Lucy's safety if turned loose on the island at this point.

I have wildlife-viewing obsession and am currently completely over the top when it comes to turtles. With our small but wonderfully powerful binoculars, I spied a large turtle sitting with the above-referenced goose yesterday. Odd couple!! What I want to is to be able to snap a picture of that with binocular clarity and mega close up perspective. A picture taken from the deck is a safe photo bet, as long as I move noiselessly: turtles and ducks will skedaddle at the least little sound (I've even seen deer from way across the pond lift their heads when I simply open the deck door). But a bit too far away. Once, I was successful in going out the front door and coming around to the back, moving as silently as possible on the grass to surreptitiously take a turtle pic from land's edge. Closer... better. The best, but riskiest: from the end of the protruding dock. If you ever want to see 18 turtles hit the water in a split second, that's the way to do it. But then you get to watch their little noses moving just above water level as they swim about and ultimately heed the call of the sun's heat to return to the warm grass.

So, I've seen them - and tried to photograph them - in all their glorious charms, watching their numbers grow from one to 25 on a very fortunate day...observing great variety in sizes as their young join them...admiring their silver-gray backs when dry and warm...and glossy blacks when first coming up from the pond. Yup. Completely bitten by turtle obsession.

Admiring their own reflections?


Meeting of the tribal elders?


Probably not listening to a speech from the robin;
but - as they normally do, simply facing the direction they arrived out of the water.
Ideal/efficient for exposing their backs to the sun?


The day I counted 25 of them: varying degrees of size, dry/wetness.
A wee one on the far right perhaps coming up for a first day in the sun?


The island seems to melt into the opposite shore...
as turtles spread out across the nearer edge
we are most fortunate to have in our view.

16 comments:

catsinger said...

the "different" plants and animals were something that captivated me [along with "real" seasons...] about living in the Midwest... something I still miss...

but I never saw turtles...how lucky you are to see such abundance !...I wonder what a group of turtles is called...?

DearestDragonfly said...

Great question, Catsinger! I had intended to look that one up before posting.

Now I have! It's a 'bale' of turtles. Cool, eh?

Miz Minka said...

How beautiful! I've never seen so many turtles (of any kind) congregate together to sun themselves. I'd be turtle obsessed, too, DD!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! We have become similarly obsessed with wildlife here on our little acres and feel blessed.

The gaggle of geese that fly over often are a wonder, but the murder of crows that live in the woods is noisy!!

Enjoy! :D

Miz Minka said...

DD, maybe you'd better not get too attached to the forthcoming duck or goose chicks? With so many hungry turtles in the pond, baby quackers may not last very long... :( Or do only snapping turtles eat baby ducks? Yours don't quite look like that nasty breed, but I'm not familiar with Indiana fauna. Maybe your turtles are herbivores. I hope so...

DearestDragonfly said...

Miz Minka - now we know when a good time of year would be for a visit here.*smile*!

Re your 2nd comment: You are absolutely right! I'm already vexed with Mother Nature. There was a dead turtle in the pond a few days ago. Couldn't stop checking and more checking throughout the day in case it was resting (denial). I wondered if it was a goose attack. Next,I saw a duck completely disappear under water and not come back up. Surreptitious turtle attack? (I then read that mallards have learned to dive for food and often stay under for 20 minutes). Yesterday there was muskrat on the island shore -- Looked like he was inhaling whatever is 'left' by the turtles. Yay! A vegetarian!!

Not to mention also that Mr Duck has to constantly and aggressively protect his bride and their territory -- and what happens to those lonely interlopers who are chased off and go 'home alone'?

Now I'm remembering that 90% of the adorable baby penguins that make it to the sea and dive in to 'live free' in March of the Penguins will become dinner for leopard seals. Big Guy asked, Don't you care about seal pups???

I'm going back to bed.

DearestDragonfly said...

Oh, Barb -- don't you just love the 'poetic' terms for groups of animals? I've printed out a few lists of delightful and clever and insightful terms. Another blogpost!!!

If all humans - or at least all children - could grow up on 'acres', experiencing Nature in all her beauty, poetry and force, this planet could perhaps be saved...

Anonymous said...

AMEN, sistah!!!!!!!!

From your lips to God's ear!!!!! Wish all kids everywhere could experience at least a seed growing in a paper cup ...

I love the many terms for groups of critters, too, and our boys had a book about these names when they were little. Don't you just love "an exhaltation of larks" and "a charm of hummingbirds"?!

Can't wait for this blog topic! :D

DearestDragonfly said...

Sistah Barbara -- we think alike! Nature teacheth...healeth...

'Exaltation of larks' - what joy!! 'Charm of hummingbirds' - sheer delight!! What could possibly be better than that poetry. I think I'll just dance around the house and forget the blog post.

Scout said...

I have to confess, seeing all those turtles in one spot is a little creepy. But I do like your observations—the robin's speech and the elders' meeting.

DearestDragonfly said...

Though I find it compellingly sweet to observe from a distance, it hasn't escaped me that I have no idea where they spend the rest of their time. Not on the island. In the pond? Doubtful. If I were to run into the gang in a flowerbed, I'd probably run for it.

unklephil said...

Although prime season for egg laying by turtles is June and July, April is certanly not out of the question, even in your chilly clime. Are you sure your muskrat is not an omnivore?

I shall plan a trip next spring. If you have charcoal, I have skewers and an excellent sauce! What is the group called when gathered on the grill?

Sarah Richardson said...

At Will's next piano lesson I'll try to remember to bring over the camera with Jerry's paparazzi lens for turtle pics. Wednesday night he took pictures so close up of Barack Obama that I can count the stubble on his 10:30 PM shadow! And it sounds like you'll want to get plenty of pictures BEFORE "Unklephil" visits.

DearestDragonfly said...

Felipe, go to your room!!!

I know you can cook 'with one hand tied behind your back'. Come next year...I may have pictures proving it. 'Truss' is such a *cute* verb.

DearestDragonfly said...

You're makin' my dream come true, Sarah! Let's hope for a sunny day.

Maybe I should put valium in the pond water to keep them mellow enough to not mind the attention. Either that, or you might need to wear your turtle fatigues.

Now, if Mr. J were to e-slip me a pic of 'my candidate' AND give me a bear hug at church, this week would be made in the shade.

P.S. You're gonna love Unkle Phil

unklephil said...

Dragonbug: dost thou promise? I think I'm in love...