Wednesday, April 16, 2008

adagio para cuerdas en g menor...


Albinoni's Adagio for Strings in G minor.
T
he nicest rendition I've ever heard...
perhaps because of the organist's interpretation.
There is no indication of the identity of the performing group.

When I went back to school in my mid-thirties to obtain a teaching credential in music, they stressed an interesting, new (to me) approach to music education. Simply stated, if instruction resulted in a 'feelingful response' to music, that equaled success. Yes, we taught basics and concepts, etc, etc. Yes, we talked about what music means, etc, etc. But to simply enjoy being awash in the sound was considered the highest experience for the student.

I came across the above video as I was traveling a bit through the blog world a few weeks ago - one of those '...a link off a blog roll off of a link off another blog roll...', etc. There were other options on YouTube. But I found myself drawn to the simplicity of this one, just because. I didn't need a slide show of nature scenes (though I enjoy them) or to watch orchestra members ply their art (though I find that to be amazing.). This one gave me a chance 'just to be'. And in that, I found myself to be one with the music. And just that.

3 comments:

catsinger said...

I discovered this piece. one of my absolute top 10... in college...some friends had an LP,"The World's Greatest Night Music", it was there along with about a dozen others of the same ilk...
I have an arrangement for trumpet & organ that I'm sorry we never got to "explore"...
do you know the Canning,"Variations on a Hymn of Justin Morgan"...also lovely...

Scout said...

Ah, I discovered this while in college as well. I'm afraid I associate with moping and wanting to break away from campus and dorms and unpleasant course requirements, though. Maybe this rendition will help.

Daniel Martins said...

DD, have you noticed how poignant it is to listen to the Adagio while looking at the photo on the previous post? (Brenda the Polygamist)