Monday, April 23, 2007

B-

I'm giving myself an overall B- on my eating slowly/chewing each bite 50 times project. I do well sometimes...and am definitely feeling the benefits. But when I fix a bowl of sprouted grain cereal, pour raw milk over it, add frozen wild blueberries and then think, gee, with healthy ingredients like that, it's probably OK to chew 5-10 times! - like I did last night. Well, I had to average in an 'F' for yesterday.

On to another worthy project: BREATHING!!! Yes, it's not completely optional anymore! It's become completely evident that I hold my breath at the times when it is most important not to. This would generally apply to anything that requires concentration: writing, practicing... anything that falls under 'performing'... and even things that are fun, but intense. It's the epitome of working against oneself.

An awareness of the roots of the stressful state that ensues has been growing in me in the past year. Some months ago, I began gradually incorporating some deep yoga breathing into my life . For some reason, it didn't seem natural to simply, 'just do it'. I discovered that, for me, repeating phrases of the Jesus Prayer, entwining it into each breath, gave me a complete spiritual-breath experience. It still does. And helps immensely....when I remember to do it.

picture courtesy of Laura

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My pop swore by chewing every mouthful 40 times, and I don't think he ever had any digestive probs. And I'm with you on the breathing. Now whenever I get stressed, I do a scan of my body to see where I'm clenched and make myself breathe--like last week at the dentist. I was like a plank in the chair--not because it hurt but because I was expecting it to. So I deppened my breath and, um...it didn't hurt!

Love the hummingbird photo, they're such special little creatures.

Scout said...

I tend to hold my breath in intense moments as well, like on a scary park ride or if a double-semi truck passes me a little too close on the highway. I think it's a natural reaction, but you're right that it seems to be the mind working against the body instead of with it.

unklephil said...

Chew? Breathe? Gulping one's food and air seems so much more efficient somehow.

Of course, I do have the occasional problem with GERD and aspiration (comes from gulping food and air simultaneously) but OH, what a rush life can be! Makes it difficult to slow down...

DearestDragonfly said...

Gabrielle, you come from good stock!

I'm reminded of a yoga exercise my daughter-in-law did with me: starting with the head and working down to the toes, naming each mini-part, "Breathe into the ____ (fill in blank)". It revealed even minute tensions and - you're right - any pain associated went away.

DearestDragonfly said...

Robyn, I recently read somewhere on yahoo news that watching scary movies decreases blood flow/oxygen to the brain...but that watching comedies increases both.

Perhaps life is supposed to be a balance, with one compensating for the other?

DearestDragonfly said...

UnklePhil, you're definitely on this planet for the wild ride!!! Perhaps you have the most brain oxygen of all!!!

Anonymous said...

My grandfather always mentioned to chew things (I think he said a 100 times - but that's when cars didn't go fast) and he lived until 93years old. I think it was one of those war years things too, not enough food so you had to make it last.... I try and think of it as well, but more to make sure I really enjoy what I am eating. You do eat less though if you chew that much.

DearestDragonfly said...

Yes...the enjoyment is at the heart of it. Our eat'n'run habits are lacking in 'presence' -- that's undoubtedly where the greatest cost is for me.