Tuesday, January 15, 2008

RWO...RIP...

A post-midnight email from California on New Year's Eve bore the not entirely unexpected news of my father's death.

This was a man I truly did not know well, but whose shadow affected me deeply through the suffering of my mother...though his 'mistake' was redeemed many-fold in the lives of both of them through succeeding, blessed marriages. He was essentially out of my life way before my age got into double digits (i was the youngest of four daughters); and, before that, he was, to my young mind, an 'impresent' presence, traveling up and down the central valley, plying his cattle-related veterinary business.

But I came to know of him more completely in recent years, through updates from a California sister who, along with other family members, lovingly and respectfully has cared for him during the challenging six years prior to his death. She is known as a 'Buddhist Quaker', and undoubtedly both those edges defined and shaped her lovely actions.

In between those poles of time & experience, of my growing up & his dying, there was a slightly awkward re-entry into a somewhat shared life which began when he called me over 25 years ago. I had a father already - a stepfather. My children had a grandfather already - one who shared, lovingly and creatively, a giddy life of grandchildren joy with my mother. Yet, my father came as a quiet, gentle stranger into our lives and will be remembered not for tragedy and mis-steps, but for that very gentleness along with a lifetime love of music and its practice.

For this man who became a libertarian and an atheist soon after he left us...but who still remembered every tenor part to every hymn from his youth and sang such loudly as my sister played piano in his nursing home-away-from home ...my sister left 'How Great Thou Art' looping on the CD player at his bedside the night that he was to die. It played for quite some time before, during, and after his death.

That night, certainly some time around the actual moment of passing, Fr. C had a dream...of playing How Great Thou Art on the piano. In that dream, folks were singing. But, at some point, he started improvising and losing himself in it. And voices grew quiet.

But at the finish, they joined once again in song.

As he watched S2 play, the embroidered 'RWO' is barely visible on his sleeve
during a visit to us in Oregon oh so long ago...

8 comments:

catsinger said...

DD...January 2, 1988, my dad died...this year marked the 20th anniversary of that passing... almost, 24 hrs after your Father passed...
I took most of the lifelong pain and grief I've so recently shed, from my dad...I know you've been on my blog, so you know what's happened with me...out of the hole and out of the darkness...places you saw me in and would have helped, if I had let you... but I wasn't ready then...
the connections we've experienced with both parents continues...and God is SO good...

A Square Peg said...

I am so sorry about your father's death. Life takes us on the most interesting paths. But the image of our father good or bad are always the most lasting. I just happen to be getting some attendance numbers as we approach Lent and I found my own fathers funeral service recorded in the book....7 years ago...I can't believe it has been that long. And I just dreamt about him last night. Our heavenly father does not allow us to forget....whether it be our natural father, step father or the one we will ultimately go home to. May you be blessed and comforted with peace.

DearestDragonfly said...

Catsinger -- wow, yes: just a day off from my father's event, as Hospice came by 'in the new year' to officially declare time of death. Wow...How baggage shows up on our emotional doorstep and asks to be opened and processed. Your own 'darkness into light' is truly a death/resurrection story, isn't it?

SP -- I also can't believe it's been 7 years for your father. My heart is just now connecting with the 10-year anniversary of my stepfather's death. Remembering with gratitude the light he brought to scatter our darkness -- just as 'the one we will ultimately go home to' does, both temporally and eternally. Thank you!

catsinger said...

DD..it certainly is...and continues to be... as I struggle with fears and doubts... I must have important work ahead to be so "pruned"...
God is SO good...

DearestDragonfly said...

AMEN!!! If I still lived in Mudville, we could take a long walk and still need ever so many more to discuss the facets of God's goodness...

Scout said...

Dragonfly, I'm sorry. Life is so complicated, isn't it? Rarely black and white with room for so many nuance relationships.

unklephil said...

Yes, He is great! Perhaps your father was making a little more room for Glen & Rhonelle's son, who arrived just after midnight on the 31st...

I am so sorry for your loss. And it took me almost a month to learn of his passing; we really must talk more often.

DearestDragonfly said...

Scout, I've always appreciated the nuances in life...adding such complexity and color. They just seem to be piling up on me, the older I get. And when it involves relationships...especially life & death...there is extra poignancy.

Felipe - Ah, the wonderful, eternal cycling of life & death, as represented by precious little Glenn. I think I'll drink and tequila grapefruit in honor of that. Thinking of you as you and so many others 'suit up' for the concert tonight.