Friday, January 25, 2008

a pre-december 2007 *wish*...

What I wish +JDS had written to +KJS.

Hmmm...

What I wish +KJS had written to +JDS.

OH: What I wish +JDS/+KJS had simultaneously found so inspiring that they had to pick up the phone and plot together.

+J/+K: I had an impulse to call you today. Not entirely sure why...but it seems to be prompted by the Holy Spirit.

Contacting you has been on my heart also. An unlikely scenario has been playing through my mind. It would involve us taking on a work of grace together.

My heart has been strangely prepared for the possibility of this. Recently, I've been meditating on Philippians, chapter two -- specifically the verse that refers to humbly regarding other better than yourselves.

Unbelieveable. I also have been pondering this verse in my heart and have felt called to specifically consider those 'others' as being from a group that I consider misled or just plain wrong. Or even, and perhaps more especially, you!

I agree! I've had a growing concern for the sheep on the edges -- the ones in our respective flocks we are working and praying for...the ones we are acting to protect and nurture in the name and cause of the gospel of our Lord.

There is great woundedness out there. I see sorrow and fear; even anger and indignation. Many are in pain and feel persecuted, belittled, and misunderstood by the other side. I believe the Spirit can heal all this, regardless of any essential or even remaining differences between them.

I share that act of faith.

So...what if we were to focus on them together unlikely act of service -- temporarily laying aside our regular responsibilities, along with any important crusades for what is right, and instead take on a shared role of service to those most marginalized and suffering?

I've thought along the same lines. This may sound outrageous, and even impossible, but we know all is possible in our Lord: What if we went on a journey together around the country, humbly regarding these weak as better than ourselves and...well, what better way to do this than by washing the feet of those who are in need?

Excellent! I'm convinced that our Lord has laid this upon our hearts. I can almost see us dressed in our servant roles, without any indication of our ecclesiastical stature -- would that we could show up in robes and sandals!

...stopping in with our bowl and towels...

...taking turns washing and drying...

...serving in blessing...

...blessing in serving...

Some may be hurt and angry and wary of being served by 'the other side'.

Then I will be honored to step aside and humbly offer prayers silently while you serve.

And I will do the same for you. Why don't we come up with lists of those most in need to start with?

It would please me to first visit ones you are most concerned for.

Thank you. And then we'll continue by stopping in and serving some of your sheep and continue to zigzag our way across the country. And what if we meet people along the way that are outside of our collective fold, but want to be served by us?

Then, of course, we will do so with ministering hearts overflowing with love and grace...seeing Jesus in them.

Perhaps at some point maybe we won't even need our bowl of water...

...but could wash their feet with our tears.

(together): "Well, it seems we are of the same mind. May I wash your feet first?"

3 comments:

catsinger said...

...if only...in more ways than one....
so much brokenness and grief...
it is so hard to see those you love in pain...

DearestDragonfly said...

...even from afar, it is so...

DearestDragonfly said...

Catsinger, I just remembered...that when all the Anglican world's bishops get together at their annual 'Lambeth' conference, they usually start with some sort of shared humanitarian activity. I don't suppose it erases their practical differences when they next meet for business. But, it is good, nonetheless...