Saturday, January 12, 2008

epiphany of beauty: they still gives me shivers...

The untimely death of Christopher Bowman ('Bowman the Showman') just came up in Yahoo news. A google image search on him - his brilliant career and all too short life - led to further searching (as it always does with google, eh?), and landed where art begins and ends: heart-shaking videos of the all-time greats, Torvill & Dean. I still weep with wonder and gratitude for them.

Their perfect scores in the Olympics of 1984 ('Bolero') remains at the top even now, despite their magnetic tide pull on all wanna-be's to their altar of style and originality over the years. But today it is their 1984 paso doble that makes my soul hold its breath. It is one of several required dances in the Olympics - 'compulsory', with prescribed steps and rhythmic precision providing a platform for the pair's creativity. Torvill & Dean set the standard with this one. So: Enter Christopher as matador. And Jayne as cape...with inherent possibilities for twirling, throwing, dragging...and (for her) draping. Despite its 'age'...Breathtaking.



Some other (more recent) high points out of their myriad: Oscar Tango. And Sarabande (a collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma). YouTube has many others, including their interpretations of Dave Brubeck's Take Five, John Lennon's Revolution paired with Imagine, and even Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend.

3 comments:

catsinger said...

..DD, nice to hear from you again... I'm not a big ice skating fan, but Miz Minka is...you must check out the unklephil "portraits" from Miz Minka's opera blogs[as I write...they are finishing the last performance...]and the comments, if you haven't yet...
we did "Down in the River" today [I called it Appalachian Taizé...] Miz Minka sang the solos, [started and finished] wonderfully...I used your notes and Finale-d it...I'll send you a copy...we did "ad lib"...though, and it was, acappella...

DearestDragonfly said...

I would love to have a copy! merci...

catsinger said...

...am working on "fixing" all that we "changed" in performance...I only have to get Alines' changes...then I'll print and send you an "updated" version....