Saturday, June 23, 2007

saturday report...

The day thou gavest, Lord, is ending. I'm definitely in the 'looking back' mode. A good day. A rough day.

I spent close to five hours working on the front yard this morning. Annuals are good. Weeding is good. Planting a 'Rose of Sharon' tree from M's green larder -- priceless. If I could find the camera, I'd take a picture.

So, I accomplished a lot in the front yard -- not to sell the house, but to entice prospective buyers to want to walk through the front door. Sometime during my fourth and I thought last hour of work, 'Tyler' showed up. The on-the-young-side teenage son of a man who devoted 8 hours of his life on a rainy day in March weeding the front yard, he and I worked together for another hour or two. Some of what I had done earlier was undone -- as in, I had carefully planted and completed my activity with a 'punctuation' of mulching, e.g., ground up leaves from last fall being placed on the top of the well-worked soil, and then found that much was disturbed by, i.e., covered with, displaced dirt from the Tyler activity of forming a border to the area with discarded mowing strip concrete and brick remnants. Yup. It was all worth it. Got a lot done. Worked with a young teen to that end.

So...the reason I can't find the camera?: The usual center-of-activity, The Dining Room (home to many things, including the digital camera) , is encased in plastic. A talented painter from church is finishing what I started a cool year ago. Except he's even MORE of a perfectionist than I am! So...I'm up to my eyeballs in spackle dust!!! The result of continued work in the past year: there is no trace of the revered wallpaper. No 'cinco de mayo' paint this-time-this-year. Nope. It's going to be 'shell pink', a la Martha Stewart's June issue (why, I ask, does she exclaim 'Shell Pink!!!' in her mag when she does not offer anything close to that name in her own paint line??? Nor does anyone else. And, while I'm at it, will some one intervene as I'm contemplating boxing 36+ issues of her mag for leisurely -- but not certain -- perusal in Indiana???).

Just have to say it: How appropriate is 'shell pink', given Fr. C's wondrous liminality post!

The remaining question: will the sumptuous, heavy dining room drapes with weighty cornice be reinstalled...or will they be stored? I suspect that if we're wanting to sell drapes and cornice, they should remain. If we're wanting to sell a house, then might the large window, newly exposed in its complete glory -- might its inherent beauty and light-giving presence -- speak for itself...sans heavy, lined drapes/wood-framed cornice?

Maybe there will be a picture at some future point. For now, the more pressing eternal hope is that I may find time, energy to comment on amazing blogposts. And respond to amazing comments from visitors on mine -- comments which I hoped to 'comment on' at the time...but missed the window.

Love, DD

No comments: