Sunday, June 22, 2008

micro greens...

'Red micros', purchased from the Goshen Farmer's Market yesterday.
These are sprouted from arugula, mizuna, kale, amaranth, mustard, cress
and tatsoi seeds.
Crisp. Spicy. Extraordinary.

I'm addicted to microgreens. I guess that's not a bad thing. Sprouts are in fact the most nutrient dense food on earth, themselves ripe with the magic of life's essential enzymes. My mouth told me as much when I first tasted the mix above at the same marketplace a few weeks ago. A package or two later, my increased energy became their best spokesperson. A micro second later came the familiar nagging greed for possessing the knowledge of 'doing it myself'.

So I embarked on a Google journey. After hitting dead end after dead end in my search for a workable home system (let's just say most info sources are geared towards selling the expensive little gems), I discovered a wealth of info at SproutPeople. There I found my ideal: hemp bags. Seeds for micros need some sort of medium and the hemp fiber is an easy, reliable and reusable (and therefore economical) one. Next step: obtaining a bag of seeds that replicates the 'wow' of the above mix.

An Amish farmer at the above market declared that it now take five apples to match the nutrition found in a 1965 version of one. Depleted soil, herbicides, pesticides are perhaps the basic culprits. But a larger issue looms on a grander scale: In our good intentions to feed humanity easily and thoroughly, we may not have done either as we super-manage food producing, processing, packaging. "We're consuming 'edible foodlike substances' -- no longer the products of nature but of food science." (Michael Pollan: In Defense of Food). Honing the art of nutritional science, we're seemingly much less healthy than where we started. Malnourished some would say. Perhaps we've lost something essential: What food was truly meant to be.

Thank goodness the pendulum is showing signs (...not macro quite yet) of swinging...of increasing awareness of and desire for health and wholeness. Being human, we will ever do it imperfectly. For now, I'm choosing a micro remedy - with some hope and gratitude in the mix.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for the Sproutpeople link! Rob has grown sprouts from time to time for about 10 years, but we've been at the mercy of what seeds we found locally.

Since as a PW you may be hostess to food gatherings where your new sprouts may be part of a course, I thought you'd be interested to know that folks with auto-immune diseases (like lupus) are to avoid alfalfa sprouts because they can make symptoms worse. How is that for a run-on sentence?!

Go forth and grow sprouts - but not too many of each type at a time lest your crops overwhelm your immediate use quotient!

Hugs! Barb

Sarah Richardson said...

Having just enjoyed a lunch of spicy spring and micro greens, I could not agree more! And that website is very fun. I am still amused that a girl from Cali found such a progressive and "granola" food experience in our little Midwestern farmer's market. :)

DearestDragonfly said...

Thanks for the tidbit of important info on alfalfa sprouts, Barb. It's good there is such a plethora of seeds out there now -- it seems we're meant for variety. When I think of the abundance of alfalfa during my young-ish years...overuse comes to mind.

It's clear I've landed in a little piece of heaven, Sarah. I'm 'fed' here by all I craved as a west coast hippy. In general, I'd much rather go to Goshen than to Whole Foods!