Monday, May 5, 2008

gift of the season...

Returning home from a clergy spouse conference in this lovely diocese this past Saturday evening, I found a lilac branch waiting for me at the door. The gift-giver knew I was entranced by them here - a different variety than grows in California. What a treasure to find, after being consumed by lilac envy all the way home, mental scouring the yard to come up with possible sites for the myriad bushes I yearned to possess.

They grow big here. I suppose I would tire of a wall of them across the back...perhaps punctuated with a tribe of astonishingly beautiful redbuds...and a few of whatever graceful white blooming trees I see paired with them in front of the corner house down the street...and the many pictures I could take of pond wildlife, filtered through lilac light.

Or maybe not.

Many thanks, Sarah!

4 comments:

catsinger said...

how lovely to see lilacs again...ours have been "done" for a while...

Anonymous said...

Lovely!

We have several lilac bushes here and they smell heavenly. We've learned that a fertilizer called HollyTone helps them bloom more - but those in the picture are abundant and gorgeous whether they had HollyTone or not!

Our lilacs are past their bloom time,too, Enjoy yours!

I received two pink dogwoods for my birthday. Perhaps you'll get a lilac bush for Mother's Day?! :D

Anonymous said...

Yes, another one of God's beautiful creations. Thanks for sharing.

DearestDragonfly said...

Ours are obviously in their prime, with (delightfully) no sign of abating! One of the benefits of living 'up north', Catsinger. *smile*

Barb, what lovely Mother's Day presents those dogwoods are. I've just noticed that the redbuds down the street are paired with delicate, white dogwoods. More envy on my part!!

Joe, wishing you and Linda skies of lilac blossoms over your nuptials...at least in spirit...