Sunday, March 9, 2008

pascalina avga

Holy Week is beginning...well...in a week. Once again, I have Greek Orthodox envy - specifically lust and longing for Pascalina Avga, their blood-red Easter eggs.

I once made these for the children in our previous church. Having sent to New York for 'kosher' - or whatever the Greek equivalent is - dye (thank you, Martha Stewart), I expected perfection in result. Close. But not quite Martha.

I'll be going to Chicago for a few days later this week, joining our second-born daughter* who will have just finished a conference there. I'm certain I could fairly easily find some amazing dye in a box covered with exotic lettering and thus feel very authentic. That, is an irresistible thought. (The bail-out: I could use Rit dye. But right now, I've lost the best link to that method. OH - scratch that: yellow onions provide the magic!)

I could follow these instructions for dyeing with such a product, go here for an authentic game of dueling Greek eggs. And Word Eater offers a good read: "What to do when confronted with a Greek egg".

*For those of you who know that Sum was hit by a car a month ago while crossing a street to catch a bus, she reports that she is close to 100% healed! Pretty amazing, even for a tough cookie (as her husband calls her)! Having flipped in the air ('cartwheel' a bystander said), wrenching her head/neck/knees/back, etc, etc, etc, we consider this nothing less than miraculous. Barb: you're right. Following ER orders saves loads on the 'physical therapy' end. Ibuprofen ('bathing the body in it', as her doc said) seems to have played a major and successful role. Hallelujah!

8 comments:

catsinger said...

DD...I see the spammer who commented on my site is now bugging you... just delete him...that's what I did...
glad to hear Summer is better...
BTW.."Greek Town"[in Chicago] is near the Loop, as I remember, and may have the very thing you seek...and if not there....there are a ton of Jewish Kosher establishments[check out Skokie...along Dempster...] there used to be a lot of Kosher Delis & Bakeries on Dempster...into Des Plains... of course, that was 30 years ago...ARGH...I'm getting old...
enjoy Chicagoland...

DearestDragonfly said...

Thanks, Catsinger. I flushed him, right away! How annoying...

Will definitely look for Greek Town. I may also give the yellow-onions-really-do-dye-eggs-red method a try. Weird.

Love your pic!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi DD!

Glad to hear you'll get to give your own DD a well needed parental hug soon and that she's well recovered from her mis-adventure. WHEW! Glad my information was helpful.

When living in Chicagoland, I didn't know the joys of Greek dishes - but well remember the amazing desserts at a place in Bellwood (insert wistful sigh here for the flavors and my 90lb weight then!). One dessert was so large you needed a diving board for it and it was called The Bell Tower. Not exactly helpful in getting red eggs, of course.

When the boys were in school they had a natural dye project and the yellow onions I used gave us a yellow color. Maybe red is caused by a reaction with egg shells?

Cheers! Barb :D

Scout said...

Wow, I didn't know that about your second-born. My own second-born knew, though. Nobody tells me anything.

unklephil said...

Dragonbug,

Be sure to check out the Parthenon restaurant in Greek town; you won't find a better Greek meal anywhere in this country, particularly if you make sure to order the Saganaki appetizer.

So glad to hear your acrobatic daughter has mended well.

DearestDragonfly said...

Barb, if I could dive into the Bell Tower, I would certainly forget all about my red eggs! Hoping to find dye in Chicago so that I don't have to 'poach' flaky onion skins from the display at Kroeger's... If the 'recipe' called for red ones, I'd be more enthusiastic about it.

Scout, you'd think that cyberspace and cell phones would be keeping us all 'in the know'... perfectly. Not even in our own families, from my experience!!!

Felipe, thanks for the recommendation. I think I can remember 'Parthenon'! BTW - I dare you to post your scanned brain on "tenor's life"...

DearestDragonfly said...

Felipe, I meant 'Life's Tenor' -- but you could occasionally post something on your other blog!

unklephil said...

Dare accepted!