Wednesday, March 5, 2008

endodontic empathy...


Oh, how I wish I had seen dear Minka's post this past Sunday. At that point, I didn't know what was in store for me the next day. But, as Monday unfolded in a surreal, dental way for me also, her hand would have felt close enough to grasp. Perhaps I could have imagined us as young friends, at the end of the day...building a tent out of blankets and huddling together, sharing something rather scary...and the relief of surviving it.

A couple weeks ago, while brushing the side of a molar (#31) I lost a tiny bit of composite filling from an area best described as the root of a tooth. A California holistic dentist had cleaned the 'way below the gum line' area and packed it with a fluoride laced remedy...probably over a year ago. I don't think it was supposed to be permanent. But I had hoped it would be, as it was a nerve-wracking procedure. Sunday evening, mere food-laced saliva that traveled to that side of my mouth felt like a screwdriver in said tooth. It became clear that I was going to have to deal with it soon -- i.e., find a dentist here in Wonderful W that would restore/patch it with similar materials.

By 10am Monday I was in a dentist's chair. There would be no patching. Dentist's assessment: X-ray showed probable decay in the root and possible infection. Tooth didn't seem to respond to her attempts to rouse it and she suspected it was dying. Call to endodontist in much-larger-city landed me a 4:15 spot that very same day. I was thankful for someone's cancellation. As dento-phobic as I am, the root canal would stop the pain. Or so I thought.

If I had known what was to come, I would have taken my Valium a bit closer to the appointment...and certainly would have popped two! By the time I got in The Chair, it had worn off. I didn't leave the office until 6:15 -- long after they were to close. Two hours...three canals. Novocaine that was supposed to cause 'profoundly numbness', but didn't. An unforeseen problem: the canals were 'calcified'. Two of the three were successfully drilled and routed. I was shivering and wasn't sure if it was from being cold or from being stressed. Did I mention I'm certifiably phobic???

The 3rd canal presented an additional - and perhaps insurmountable - challenge. The material that had been packed into the outside of the ailing root last year had become pressed into the canal. It would be a hard-as-nails obstacle to further work in that area. Prognosis: The jangling nerve may still be there. I may still have pain. I may lose the tooth.

I had a good child-like cry on the drive home.

Miz M had 'apical' surgery. I can't imagine having numbing shots above your front teeth. Wishing her well with her stitches and sending her - retroactively - the kind of prayer that sustains in the moment.

4 comments:

Miz Minka said...

Oh, DD, how horrible!!!! Figuratively speaking, I certainly feel your pain and belatedly am holding your hand and praying for you!

Make sure you have some Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium on hand, it works great for tooth pain! It's also a good idea to take some before any endodontic procedure.

catsinger said...

...at the risk of sounding like an attempt at "one-ups-manship"[which this certainly is not...] I had a root canal, probably 25 years ago on a tooth, which was found to have had "calcified roots"...they had had a hard time identifing the "bad" tooth and I had even resorted to acupuncture[it worked briefly...] when they drilled into the old crown and released the pressure, it finally stopped throbbing [it had been 2 weeks...]
a couple of years later, I had to have another "rc" on the same tooth...I don't remember a lot... [ummm...valium...] but I do remember the Dr [Nash] telling me through the haze that the roots were cracked and the tooth would have to come out...[middle molar, lower right side...]...it took a couple of hours to dig out the fragments of all the root and several stitches... I still have the "gap" to prove it...unfortunately, NOT my worst dentist "experience"...
my heart [and mouth] felt sympathies to both you and Mz Minka...novacaine anywhere near the nose is a horrible experience...

Anonymous said...

I shudder to think of this happening to you and what you endured! I, too, am a white-knuckled chicken when it comes to going to the dentist for anything. NO! I don't want to ...stamping feet here. :D

My vote is for general anesthesia in every dental office - and whoever thought of those rubber things some dentists use to block your throat was evil (yeah, sure you can breathe thru your nose).

Glad you're well on the recovery side of this problem.

Serious hugs to you! Barb

DearestDragonfly said...

'Replying all' here! That pesky unfinished 3rd canal nerve is back to discouraging screw-driving. I pray my endodontist won't give up on me.

I trust you are recovering well, MM! I *heart* ibuprofen. But I don't want to have to continue eating it for three meals a day. May your stitches come out and leave you in perfect health there.

Catsinger, how awful! I'm trying to figure out what causes our calcified roots. This is an absolutely rude part of life that snuck up on me. Officially: curses on being so very human. Pass the valium.

Hello, Miss Barb! I join you in foot-stamping!!! Unfortunately...to the point of putting off visits. Bad girl, I am. Having only had novacaine for wisdom teeth removal when I was in my mid-twenties (hmmm...that didn't help my phobias), I agree - general anesthesia should be available. Add in some chocolate and I'll be there.